I saw an older woman walking with a limp on 43rd
and main. She made her way to the Quick Trip down the way on Main Street, where
she sat on the side of the curb. She was wearing a long tattered trench coat with
torn shoes, and fingerless gloves. Her hair was a rat’s nest and she had dirt
on her nose. She sat with her knees against her chest and her head hung low.
Every now and then she would mumble to herself and rock back and forth as if
she was anxiously waiting for something. I sat in my car and observed as several
people walked past her as if she wasn’t there. Without hesitation, I gathered some
change and walked up to her. She didn’t really notice my existence until I got
closer and said “here you go,” and handed her some change. She looked at me
with glossed eyes, and her lips parted slightly to show me a toothless smile.
She reached out her hand and softly said “thank you.” As I walked away I
glanced around to see if anyone was watching. From what I could see, no one had
noticed my act of kindness. Maybe it was because she was a frequent visitor who
collected money from strangers, or maybe no one really paid much attention to
her because of her worn look, and instead continued on with their daily lives.
I don’t know her story on how she came to be, but I do know that any act of
kindness is worthwhile.
No comments:
Post a Comment